While I truly enjoy the nice little Saturday shopping trip to Home Depot (and even Bed, Bath and Beyond, if there’s time) there is a wealth of fun shopping in the Waco area. Whether you live here, or are just visiting, here’s a list of some of my favorites (all locally owned):
- Magnolia If you’ve not heard, this is a destination for design enthusiasts. Spend an hour or two on the grounds, soaking inthe ever-changing styled areas of the store, grab some lunch from a food truck, and a famous cupcake.
- The Findery Just a short walk from Magnolia, the Findery has two stories of beautiful home goods, clothing, and gifts for men and women. They also have a [ware]house that’s occasionally open, and stocked with vintage and artisan finds from around the nation.
- Harp Design Co. Clint and Kelly Harp are national celebrities, but their little shop on N. 15th Street maintains a quaint, hometown feel. And you can check out their Fixer-Upper rental next door to the shop!
- Junque in the Trunk I’ve never walked through these doors without purchasing something; in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever brought someone here without them finding something special.
- Shades of Shabby With a constantly evolving inventory, and a cute children’s book for sale on site written by the owner’s, this is one of La Salle Avenue’s must-stops.
- Rex Crown If you love farmhouse, rustic, and/or chic, you’ll love Rex Crown’s selection!
- Interior Glow This upscale home decor is located in the historic Praetorian building on Franklin Ave. Treat yourself to a coffee from BRU while there (operated from the historic elevator shaft)!
- Laverty’s Antiques Laverty’s is a favorite among locals. They are only open occasionally, so follow them on Facebook to plan a visit.
- Spice Village Perhaps one of the most fun collection of individual shops ever curated, Spice is the perfect place to visit on a rainy day since you can shop a long time in one location. Its also in covered proximity to Olive Branch and Ninfas restaurants. Its a great place to find party planning decor and unique gifts, but they have a great selection of clothing.
- Courtney’s Boutique You’ll reliably find a winner here! You can shop all day!
- Sironia Evoking nostalgia from its roots as “Sachs on the Avenue” location, Sironia is a labyrinth of beautiful and fun finds. Have some lunch (made fresh daily) while you’re there.
- Mainstream Boutique Part of the larger franchise of Mainstream Boutiques, this Waco location is owned by a Baylor grad, and located on Franklin Ave. downtown.
JUST FOR FUN:
- Hey Sugar A mix of gourmet, retro, and artisan candy and treats, the enchanting store is fun for kids and grown-ups, alike. Its perfectly located on Austin Ave. with a photo op mural!
- Craft Gallery The booths are numerous, and there is always something new. I found fun items for Easter baskets this year.
- JDH Iron Designs Visit the Fixer-Upper ironman Jimmy Don Holmes’ brick and mortar shop in Crawford! He’s often there, and they have a viewing window to watch the artwork in progress!
There are countless other unique places to visit, and you can find helpful lists at several retailers (to include The Findery and Sironia) to plan a full day! I’ve even seen a new list out for shopping McGregor, where the Fixer Upper Magnolia bed and breakfast is located.